Tuesday 15 April 2014

Pavlova Is The Ultimate Easter Dessert

Pavlova
She's a beaut – Pavlova has that wow-factor

Ever since my husband and I had our son last year, we've been talking a lot about family food traditions –  which ones we'll take from our respective families and which ones we want to create for ourselves. 

Pavlova is one food tradition we can both agree on. Both my mom and my MIL have made Pavlova for years, and it's a feature at most spring celebrations, especially Easter. My MIL, Bernie, has made Pavlova for catering events so frequently she could probably do it in her sleep. Until recently, I had never made it, because as can happen with family recipes, it wasn't my job and they both do such a good one. But with our family far away and this blog as my motivator, I decided it was time to learn. 

A large meringue topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit, Pavlova hails from Australia and New Zealand and is said to have been created to honour the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova in the 1920s. Though made up of just a few ingredients and taking only a few minutes to prepare, Pavlovas have a bit of a rep for being tricky. They can collapse, crack and seep sugary syrup. They can be overly chewy or brittle and dry. But when done well, they are heavenly. Crisp on the outside and soft and marshmallowy on the inside. The perfect vessel for whipped cream and any fruit topping. 

I have now made it twice. The first attempt tasted good and the texture was close but it was fairly flat – too few egg whites, no cornstarch. After a bit of research and a quick Skype with Bernie, I tried again. I was pretty happy with attempt number two. But I have a feeling that this will be one recipe I will work to perfect year after year, until, one day, it'll be my turn to pass it on, having learned all the secrets. 

In the meantime, here are the tips I've compiled from the experts du jour, my mom and my MIL:

• The more egg whites you use, the higher and more marshmallowy the Pavlova 
I used 5 for the one shown in the photograph, only because I got yolk into the white of one of my eggs (a big no-no) and was out of eggs. I think 6 egg whites is a good amount but if you want to increase, add a 1/4 cup sugar for every additional egg white. 
• Older eggs are better than fresh So say the mamas and food science agrees: the protein of the whites thins out, so they'll whip up more easily.
Make sure the eggs are at room temperature My MIL is so adamant about this, she cracks her whites the night before and leaves them on the kitchen counter. I would say leave at room temp for at least an hour.
• Use a metal bowl and make sure it's clean You don't have to use a stand mixer, but you do have to use a metal bowl. Any grease, which can accumulate in plastic bowls, will prevent your eggs from whipping. To ensure your bowl is clean, wipe with white vinegar and dry with a paper towel. 
• Use superfine or castor sugar and add by the tbsp to ensure it becomes fully incorporated Once the sugar is added and the whites are glossy and whipped to stiff peaks, the sugar should be completely dissolved. You can test this by pinching the meringue between your fingers – you shouldn't feel any granuals. If you do, keep whipping. But don't over-whip – that causes seeping!
• Use cornstarch Some recipes call for vinegar or boiling water as well, but my family experts say cornstarch is the key. I made one with and one without, and I found the one without to have a lot less volume. 
• Finally, don't open the oven door! Terrible things will happen! It will collapse or crack! The sky will fall! To be safe, both my mom and MIL, leave it in the oven overnight to dry out and cool very gradually, and, now, so do I. 

Pavlova How-To
Pavlova before and after cooking and ready to assemble

Pavlova
Prep Time: 15 min. | Total Time: 1 hr. 45 min. plus cooling time 

6 egg whites, room temperature
1-1/2 cups superfine granulated sugar
2 tsp cornstarch, sifted

Preheat oven to 225ºF. Draw a 9-inch circle with pencil on a piece of parchment paper. Flip parchment over and place on a baking sheet. 

Using a stand mixer with whisk attachment, whip egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed a notch and begin adding sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, allowing each tbsp to become fully incorporated before adding the next. Add cornstarch and allow to incorporate. This process may take approx. 5 to 7 min. Increase speed to maximum and whip until peaks are stiff and glossy. To test meringue, pinch small amount of mixture between your fingers; the sugar should be completely dissolved. 

Scoop meringue onto parchment circle, spreading to edges and making a slight concave in the centre. 

Place in oven and immediately reduce temperature to 200ºF. Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Without opening oven door, turn off oven and leave pavlova to cool slowly overnight. 

When ready to serve, fill with whipped cream and fresh fruit like passion fruit, sliced strawberries or raspberries.



No comments:

Post a Comment